Outdoor Sport Leading
This intermediate course is THE essential foundation for your sport climbing career.
If you are wanting to take lead climbing from the gym to the crag, or you want to progress from beginner routes to intermediate climbs, this is a mandatory rock climbing lesson for your safety.
During this course, Kaf instructors will give you personal instruction on how to safely lead climb. You will expand your basic climbing skills by gaining knowledge about topics like gear and knots, lead belaying, lead climbing, how to build and clean an anchor, rappelling, and how to consciously fall.
The Outdoor Sport Leading Climbing curriculum includes:
- Introduction to sport climbing gear, and purchase recommendations
- Introduction to sport climbing history/ethics
- Review of basic climbing knots
- Proper clipping techniques
- Lead belay technique (ATC & Grigri)
- Basic anchor construction for bolted sport anchors
- How to safely clean and rappel from a bolted sport anchor
- How to fall safely
- Mental tricks for lead climbing
- Climbing LNT/Ethics
- Climbing Movement
- Lead Climbing Technique
- Guide Books
You will receive a full packing list upon registration, but feel free to contact Kaf Adventures with any gear specifics questions you have.
On that note, Kaf will provide all group climbing gear. You will be responsible for providing personal climbing gear including harness, helmet, rock climbing shoes, and a day pack.
Included in trip cost
- Professional instruction
- Passes and permits
- Group climbing gear including ropes, belay devices, all artificial protection needed
- Light snacks for the day
NOT included in trip cost
- Transportation (carpool options available)
- Personal climbing equipment including harness, helmet, rock climbing shoes, and a day pack for carrying gear and belongings to the crag
- Lunches and water – please come prepared with at least 2 liters of water
*Rentals are available at a reasonable cost. Kaf Adventures had done it’s very best to create a rental program affordable to your needs. Rental information HERE.
We recognize that transportation can be tricky. Once registered, Kaf will provide information regarding meeting times, locations and any required parking permits. If interested in carpooling, we will orchestrate a meeting place between participants.
This class will set you up for the skills needed to move onto our intermediate Traditional Climbing Fundamentals course.
***Also! Please note that this course can be customized anytime!***
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.