Intro. to Backpacking Excursion
Once you’ve completed our Intro to Backpacking course indoors, it’s time to take what you’ve learned and set out for a great journey into the Pacific Northwest wilderness!
Hire a professional wilderness backpacking guide or join a small group of other outdoor recreational enthusiasts for a fun, informative and rewarding 3 day expedition.
To further your wilderness backpacking training, we insure that you’ll get hands on experience preparing, traveling, navigating, using your gear, camping, cooking, and exploring. Backpacking through the North Cascades is an amazing opportunity that will leave your feeling empowered and refreshed.
Upon completion of this trip the student will be able to demonstrate:
1. Using USFS and other planimetric and topographic maps, identify potential areas, trails and facilities for hiking and backpacking.
2. Accurately interpret a route designated by the instructor on a topographic map; and evaluate the route in terms of travel difficulty, transit time, hazards, escape routes and suitability for foot travel.
3. Explain the equipment needs of both individuals and groups on day, overnight, and extended trips. Complete list of clothing and equipment needed given a trip description.
4. Be able to pick a route that meets you experience level and understand the significance of environmental factors of that route.
5. Demonstrate a working knowledge of land management agencies and permits required for use.
6. Demonstrate the ability to construct an accurate profile of terrain from a topographic map, including calculation of distance, direction, and elevation gain or loss.
7. Understand responsible backcountry camping techniques and Leave No Trace ethics.
8. Demonstrate an understanding of the fitness requirements need for backpacking and of conditioning methods for this activity.
9. Explain the food preparation, planning and cooking process of an overnight backpacking trip.
The valuable information that you’ll walk away with after 3 days will become a strong foundation of backpacking skills that you’ll be confident to build upon throughout your future wilderness experiences.
(This 3 day course is designed to solidify the skills taught during the Intro to Backpacking Class. Completing the Intro to Backpacking class is required unless preapproved by the instructor of the excursion.)
So let’s get out into the wild! If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Once you’ve completed the Intro to Backpacking Excursion, get ready for more outdoor fun! We’d love to have you join us on longer wilderness excursions like our 6 Day Olympic Backpacking Trip and our Mt. Rainier Yoga & Backpacking Trip.
|Start Date||End Date||Start Time||Event Name||Location||Open Seats||Price||Signup|
|Jun 7, 2013||Jun 9, 2013||6:30 pm||Intro to Backpacking Excursion||North Cascades, WA||8||$205.80|
|Jun 28, 2013||Jun 30, 2013||6:30 pm||Intro to Backpacking Excursion||North Cascades, WA||9||$205.80|