Intro to Mountaineering (Classroom)
Interested in exploring the towering glaciated landscape of the Pacific Northwest? Cool! We are too.
Do you want to go deeper into the vast wild areas of the North Cascades? Learning to be safe in the mountains is an in-depth and extremely rewarding commitment – and we will guide you every step of the way.
Start learning today!
Our professional guides and educators are here to create a comfortable environment where your education and development of fundamental mountaineering techniques is our sole focus and mission (and we have a ton of fun throughout the process!).
This classroom-based course is designed to help you begin the exciting journey into the outdoor world of mountaineering.
During the classroom course, we will help you build a foundation of skills needed to travel in glaciated terrain. The course is delivered in discussion format and designed to prepare you for a guided, overnight, multi-day peak ascent.
All Students in the Kaf Adventures Mountaineering Programs will receive exclusive access and discounts at the Outdoor Research retail store!
- Detailed review of equipment and clothing requirements
- Meal preparation
- Understanding mountain hazards
- Discussion of over land management agencies and land use permits
- Climbing styles and ethics
- Leave No Trace principles and ethics
- Fitness and conditioning requirements
- Trip planning and preparation practice
- Glacier rigging and travel
- Basic emergency response
* (Please note that Intro to Mountaineering Classroom is only in lecture format and does not give participants the experience needed to travel in the mountains. It is a foundational course designed and intended to be followed by the 4-day Introduction to Mountaineering outing.)
None! Come as you are.
Since this is a classroom course, minimal equipment is needed. We do ask that you come prepared with 18 ft of 6mm cordelette – preferably cut into one 12’ piece and one 6’ piece which can be purchased through Kaf Adventures on the day of your classroom course. We will use the cordelette for knot tying practice, and you will use it again on your Mountaineering Outing! You will receive a detailed list of what is required for a Mountaineering Outing following registration, so that you can come to the classroom session prepared with equipment specific questions. Feel free to bring along any items you want checked out by our professional instructors.
Included in Trip Cost
- Professional instruction from full time mountaineering instructors
- Informational Mountaineering Handbook with course curriculum and more! A great resource and reference for continuing your education prior to the outing.
NOT Included in Trip Cost
- Snacks/ Lunch for the day.
- 18 ft of 6mm cordelette – preferably cut into one 12’ piece and one 6’ piece. This can be purchased from us on the day of your course.
You will be responsible for getting to and from the Adventure Hub (Kaf Office), located in SoDo. There is free parking onsite. Once registered, you will receive direction and meet up details.
After you complete this course, take the next step in your mountaineering journey! Apply what you’ve learned during the Intro to Mountaineering Outing!
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!