Intro to Mountaineering (Classroom)
Interested in exploring the towering glaciated landscape of the Pacific Northwest? Cool! We are too.
Do you want to go deeper into the vast wild areas of the North Cascades? Learning to be safe in the mountains is an in-depth and extremely rewarding commitment – and we will guide you every step of the way.
Start learning today!
Our professional guides and educators are here to create a comfortable environment where your education and development of fundamental mountaineering techniques is our sole focus and mission (and we have a ton of fun throughout the process!).
This classroom-based course is designed to help you begin the exciting journey into the outdoor world of mountaineering.
During the classroom course, we will help you build a foundation of skills needed to travel in glaciated terrain. The course is delivered in discussion format and designed to prepare you for a guided, overnight, multi-day peak ascent.
All Students in the KAF Adventures Mountaineering Programs will receive exclusive access and discounts at the Outdoor Research retail store!
- Detailed review of equipment and clothing requirements
- Meal preparation
- Understanding mountain hazards
- Discussion of over land management agencies and land use permits
- Climbing styles and ethics
- Leave No Trace principles and ethics
- Fitness and conditioning requirements
- Trip planning and preparation practice
- Glacier rigging and travel
- Basic emergency response
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!
After you complete this course, take the next step in your mountaineering journey! Apply what you’ve learned during the Intro to Mountaineering Outing!
* (Please note that Intro to Mountaineering Classroom is only in lecture format and does not give participants the experience needed to travel in the mountains. It is a foundational course designed and intended to be followed by the 4-day Introduction to Mountaineering outing.)