As the season changed and the weather turned, I reflect once again from the inspiration of the desert southwest!
One thing I have found over the summer that is certain is change. People come in and out of our lives, the weather blows, our perceptions change. Living in this world is dynamic, and the things we think are important are affected by so many factors. Struggle and challenge are important parts of our lives, letting us choose what we hold onto. Each of us face tough decisions yet the true essence of life revolves around how we choose to handle this change.
One thing I find helps see clarity around my normal daily patterns is exposing myself to the elements. The experiences we create for ourselves outdoors are powerful. The vision for KAF is to help facilitate your growth.
This summer had some amazing stories! So many worked so hard to summit Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker, learn to climb, try a new experience by doing yoga outdoors, or pushing themselves beyond imaginable. UNBELIEVABLE GROWTH!
Thank you all for your support and sense of adventure. We hope you will continue to share with us…..
We have switched our email system, and you will need to regulate it yourself.
If you want to stay in touch with this community, please register here:
The Winter season is here!
Ice climbing Days – learn, practice, play – 12/27, 1/4, 1/21, 2/12, 2/26
Ouray Ice Climbing – such a unique experience – 1/6 – 1/9
New England Ice climbing trip – the most amount of ice – 2/14 – 2/18
Snow Shoe Tours – spend a day outside with us – 1/15, 2/19, 3/3
Intro to Backcountry Skiing – this is the gateway – 1/28, 2/26, 3/4
Intro to Avalanches Course – don’t go without it – 2/23 (eve) & 2/25
Multi-day Ski Tours – go farther – 3/10 – 3/12
Introduction to Snow camping classroom – your fundamental snow class – 1/12, 1/19 & 1/26
Introduction to snow camping Outing – enjoy the winter wonderland – 2/3 – 2/5
Snow Yoga weekend! – a perfect Olympic retreat – 3/2 – 3/4
Winter brings Indoor ROCK!
Start building a solid climbing foundation for your summer climbing plans. Take the time for your skill development and take a class at ALL STAR Fitness, West Seattle our current gym space! Come climbing with us, class costs includes use of the gym for the evening! Soak it up in the hot tub after class!
Intro to Rock – come one, come all! – 1/10, 2/21, 4/3, 5/15
Advanced Technique/Open Climbing sessions - climb with a professional source for 4 hours per month. Work on technique and any rock skills – 1/11 & 1/25, 2/22 & 3/7, 4/4 & 4/18, 5/16 & 5/30
Rope Handling Clinic – 3 class sessions imperative for your foundation of climbing.(start date listed). 1/12, 2/23, 4/5, 5/17
Intro to Lead Indoors – This is the perfect gateway course leading towards outdoor climbing. 1/17, 2/28, 4/10, 5/22
Our 2012 Calendar is out! Join the mailing list or call for early registration.
Introduction to Mountaineering – (outings to Baker or Mt. Adams) – the foundational course. Starts – 5/16
Hood Alpine Ice Climbing Advanced Prep Course – the perfect blend of steep snow and ice! - 5/5 – 5/6
Hood Luetholdt Couloir Advanced prep course – enjoy a climb of the only European 2 day climb in the Cascades - 5/26 – 5/27
Mt. Rainier via Emmons– this is what you have been training for ONLY 4 spots register NOW! – 8/7 – 8/10
Crevasse Rescue Course – imperative for safety while on a glacier – 6/8 – 6/11
Personal Guiding and Rock Climbing classes– join Mick in the Desert this Spring! Remember, we pick these areas because they are unmatched!
Choose from: April – May, 2012
- Indian Creek – splitter cracks in the desert
- Red Rocks – moderate traditional climbs and sport routes
- Joshua Tree – the most unusual landscape
- Smith Rock – in our backyard! PS–Jason is in Portland, so we can now offer trips to Smith ANYTIME!
Climb and Safari of Kilimanjaro – That’s right, the final logistics of our unique travel trip to Tanzania is here. Join us for a trip of a lifetime. 2 spots have already been sold for the safari and Zanzibar section!
June 19th – July 5th, 2012
December 26, 2012 – Jan. 10th, 2013
Surf and rock climb in Taiwan– the newest experience. Join us for a unique trip in paradise
September 11 – 17th, 2012 OR September 25 – Oct. 1st, 2012
Boulder in India! – Honestly, it does not get better than this. Enjoy a vacation where we take care of the details.
Jan. 15th – 30th, 2012
Jan. 15th – 30th, 2013
Thailand – is nearly sold out!
Climb on the sunny beaches – Steep overhung climbing and yummy food. Enjoy deep water soloing! Only 2 spots left!
Feb. 3rd – 12th, 2012
Educational Tidbit #3 – How light is too Light? – Learn what Jason Wheeler considers the best backcountry ski touring set up.
Yoga in Nature
As you may know, KAF Adventures is one of the only companies in the US who truly finds yoga and nature a perfect combination.
Our Yoga Hikes were a huge success this summer!! Join us this winter for the:
- Snow Yoga Weekend! – Enjoy a weekend of yoga, snow shoeing, and back country skiing. Olympic Park Institute! $450 – March 2nd – 4th, 2012
- Also join us for the first annual Northwest Yoga Conference!!!! – February 18th & 19th
Yoga & Backpacking
Spring Canyon Lands
This fall, join us for an unmatched journey into Canyon lands near Moab, Utah. Regain a calm sense of self and a communion with nature by traveling through the heart of canyon country…
Take a look at what you’ll take part in during this unique and powerful yoga and backpacking experience in spectacular southern Utah:
- Engage in a daily yoga and meditation practice guided by (Laura-Yon Brooks) designed to awaken all of your senses and nourish your body through moderate movement; we’ve geared this for all levels of fitness and experience
- Connect with the open landscape, challenge your fitness, step out of the
- habit daily routine, reflect, relax, and find new space in your heart
- Learn backpacking skills, flora and fauna of the desert and wilderness ethics
Take a different type of vacation and return home with a greater appreciation for the beauty of the desert and the beauty of the Self.
When: April 22 – 27, 2012
Cost: $1100 per participant
*Airfare is not included and ranges from $300 – $700
Don’t forget about Mt. Rainier Yoga and Backpacking retreat this August!
I am always looking to hear from you. The KAF community wants to hear from you. I want all of us to stay connected. SHARE!
- We are doing a beacons and brews! - Practice using your beacon in the park and then let’s have a beer! Date to be announced……
- We are doing ski flick showings! - get your stoke on! – 2/6, 4/2
- We are doing a belay escape and brews! – practice a belay escape and then let’s have a beer – 2/22
KAF CAPS still available!
Help get the word out, buy one today for $10. I will ship it to you anywhere for $5. 206-713-2149.
We want to hear from you! I want to hear your stories, see how things are going and what you have been up to!
- Check out our calendar section on the new website!
- Join KAF Adventures Page on Facebook!
- Join the Seattle Climbing Group on Meet up! – Meet other climbers and stay updated with classes in the Seattle area.
- Join a social network. FitClimb – A social space to share your climbing experiences, and learn about training.
Wishing you a wonderful Holiday from the KAF Adventures Team!